Westfield, NJ Public Schools – Academic Points of Pride
Westfielders take great pride in the accomplishments of our children and in how our public school system nurtures their success in a range of endeavors. At the same time, the NJ School Report Card released by NJDOE shows that our children’s high achievement comes at a low cost per pupil in Westfield Public Schools.
Below find some noteworthy items of academic success:
• Class of 2012: 159 seniors inducted into the National Honor Society; 219 received Presidential Award; 24 Commended Scholars; 8 National Merit Finalists; 3 National Merit Scholarship winners; and 9 students graduated with a perfect 4.0 grade average throughout their high school career
• In recognition of academic excellence, leadership, service and character, 127 Juniors were inducted into the National Honor Society
• WHS’s student-run weekly newspaper, Hi’s Eye , earned First Place with Special Merit by the American Scholastic Press Association and was named Outstanding High School Newspaper — one of only nine in the country
• 95% of WHS 2012 graduates are continuing their education
• WHS students earned 6 gold medals, 26 silver, 11 bronze, and 13 Honorable Mentions on the 2012 National Spanish Exam
• 33 WHS students shared in the top ten placements in NJ in the National French Exam.
• Kevin Oster and Alex Goldschmidt achieved gold medals in the National Latin exam for all four years at WHS.
• WHS Fed Challenge Team — Kavita Mehta, Marc Mazzucco, Sam Cravo, Brian Pollock, & Leo Tolias — qualified for semi-final round with 12 teams out of 50 competing in region
• WHS Euro-Challenge Team – Will Crenshaw, Elizabeth Neylan, Nick Mennona, Daniel Kuhn, & Sanjay Sujanthakumar — advance to semi finals; 20 teams from 11 states competing
• WHS Youth and Government Club passed 5 bills into law and received Outstanding Delegation award, Best Judicial Brief, Best Judicial Advocate, and Outstanding Lobbyist at regional competition
• WHS students scored 7 perfect scores of 800 on the SAT or SAT 2 Subject Tests in December and January